From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 18:32:25
1 On 07/04/16 17:36, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:22:16 PM CEST, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Again, I don't see this as a reason not to make it optional, but I
4 >> suspect that we will find bugs here from time to time which users who
5 >> run with the split /usr will have to report/fix.
8 > Considering the advantages of usr-merge are rather specific IMHO but
9 > risks during the migration are high, I think you're optimistic on the
10 > user base of usr-merged systems :)
11 >
12 > Heck, it hasn't happened yet because there hasn't been such a big need
13 > for it.
14 >
15 In the spirit of hearing arguments for/against .. could someone with the
16 appropriate 'fu' throw up a quick survey for those on this ML (and/or
17 possibly the g-users?) to indicate a preference for a change to a
18 flattened-/usr system?
19
20 I did think re: the eudev "debate" that it was really hard to quantify
21 the opinion for and against a change, and take it away from the vocal
22 people that obviously feel passionately about their cause :) .