From: Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:15:05
1 On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 13:30 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:11:27 -0500
3 > Homer Parker <hparker@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:00 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > In case you're not aware, the first time Gentoo did multilib, it was
6 > > > done as a series of random changes to Portage that no-one really
7 > > > thought through or understood. As you can see, that didn't work...
8 > >
9 > > No, but paved the way for other distros as they had nothing
10 > > even close. I'm sure you remember back then. Don't be an ass.
11 >
12 > And what did Gentoo get out of it?
13 >
14 > What I remember is Gentoo putting in lots of work randomly changing
15 > things until things worked, and ending up not knowing what most of
16 > those changes were or why they were done. The end result is that
17 > there's still a random smattering of multilib-related mess cluttering
18 > up ebuild internals that doesn't actually do anything except cause
19 > intermittent breakages. Doing experiments is great as a way of
20 > understanding the problem, but it isn't how you deliver a solution.
21 > That takes a lot more work, and someone has to be prepared to do it.
24 The hell? Other distos where still thinking of how to implement
25 multilib and we had it. I know first hand as I trashed a system trying
26 out the latest-n-greatest.. And the next round fixed it. The -emul
27 packages from then on along with the multilib profiles have worked fine.
28 Again, quit being an ass. Oh, and what I remember is.. You didn't
29 contribute. There was kingtaco, lv, and kuglafang <sp?>. So you're clear
30 there, you didn't have a damn thing to do with it.
33 Homer Parker <hparker@g.o>