From: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "a lot of problems"
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:12:39
1 On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 05:12, Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > /usr/portage/x11-libs/gtk+/ChangeLog
3 >
4 > *gtk+-2.2.4-r1 (10 Sep 2003)
5 >
6 > 10 Sep 2003; foser <foser@g.o> gtk+-2.2.4-r1.ebuild :
7 > Remove USE debug support, the not hardcoded disabling of debugging support
8 > should fix a lot of problems. Rev bump to propagate.
11 > What are those problems? Is it very hard for devs to explain a little better
12 > their changes? I'm not whining, just curious.
13 >
14 > Many thanks,
15 > Norberto
16
17 Okay, in this case we have:
18
19 - Remove USE debug support.
20
21 The gtk+ ebuild previously could USE the "debug" word, to control
22 whether gtk+ was compiled with debugging support.
23
24 - the not hardcoded disabling should fix a lot of problems.
25
26 Okay, this is related to previous gtk+ bugs and USE variables. The
27 basics of it is that, if gtk+ is built with no debugging support
28 ("hardcoded disabling") then we get problems with things like Evolution
29 (signature crash), and gdm (gdmsetup crash from login screen).
30
31 The reason that this was coming into effect was through the `use_enable
32 debug` statement, which says "if you want to USE debug, then we'll tell
33 configure --enable-debug. if you dont want USE debug, then we'll tell
34 configure to --disable-debug". It was this explicit --disable that was
35 causing problems (another reason to build everything with debug:) ).
36
37 - Rev bump to propogate
38
39 This is shorthand really, and means that by adding a new revision (not
40 editing the current version in place), those who 'emerge -u' will now
41 see that there is a new version of gtk+ available (or a new revision),
42 which will encourage them to upgrade, and hence 'propoage' the fixes to
43 users.
44
45 Hope that helps,
46 Mike.