From: "José Fonseca" <j_r_fonseca@××××××××.uk>
To: James Michael DuPont <mdupont777@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, Paul de Vrieze <gentoo-user@××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cross compilation and mingw32
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 05:14:04
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:32:44AM +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 >On Thursday 31 October 2002 10:23, James Michael DuPont wrote:
3 >> Dear GenToo hackers,
4 >>
5 >> I am interesting in porting some packages to gentoo.
6 >> Currently I am working on debian packages for cross compilation.
7 >>
8 >> you can find the project page here
9 >> http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm
10 >>
11 >> Here are some of the netbsd packages
12 >> that you might need to setup a cross compiler :
13 >> http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/mirrors/NetBSD/packages/1.6/i386/All/
14 >> cross-i386-cygwin32-1.0.0.0.tgz
15 >> cross-i386-mingw32-1.2nb3.tgz
16 >>
17 >> These would be the starting point, imho for a gentoo port.
18 >>
19 >> Can you tell me if anyone is working on cross compilation under gentoo?
20 >> What about porting debian packages into the new ebuild format?
21 >> Cany you help me setup a minimal ebuild system under debian?
22 >> How can I transform my source packages to gentoo?
25 >I don't know whether someone is working on cross-compilers at the moment, but
26 >I personally would appreciate a mingw32 crosscompiler/binutils. Remember the
27 >gentoo way is to build as much as possible from source, so probably the
28 >cross-compiler should be used to build the mingw libraries.
31 I'm one of the MinGW developers and I do cross compilation in Gentoo
32 and RedHat, but I use a Makefile to do all the work. You can see it at
33 http://mefriss1.swan.ac.uk/~jfonseca/gnu-win32/documentation/cross/index.html
34 . It should be quite straightforward to write a set of ebuilds for MinGW
35 cross compilation from it.
36
37 The Makefile builds the cross tools for the latest versions, but I've
38 had some problems with building C++ support hence being disabled. I
39 still have to check on that.
40
41 José Fonseca