From: mingdao <gentoo-dev@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 17:24:20
1 On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 08:57:55PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > My issue with what we are currently doing is not whether we have a
3 > default network provider in the stages or not, but it is just that the
4 > netifrc use flag on OpenRC is bogus. OpenRC doesn't need netifrc for any
5 > reason.
6 >
7 > I think if we are going to have a default network manager in the
8 > stages we should do it by adding a virtual/network-manager then adding
9 > that to @system.
10 >
11 > I couldn't find dhcpcd in @system, so I don't think it is in the
12 > stages.
13 >
14 > Dhcpcd by default wants to be a standalone network manager, so I also
15 > think it is reasonable that if you want to use dhcpcd per interface
16 > along with netifrc you should have to make sure both of them (dhcpcd and
17 > netifrc) are in @world. You would just have to run
18 > emerge --noreplace netifrc dhcpcd.
19 >
20 > William
21
22 This entire thread seems to have different terminology used by different
23 posters, causing me some confusion. So perhaps a few questions:
24
25 (1) What is "the new network stack" provided by the newnet USE flag?
26
27 (2) Why is dhcpcd referred to as a "network manager" in the same context as
28 wicd, networkmanager, connman, etc? In the sense that dhcpcd is not sufficient
29 for security protected wireless alone, as is, say, wicd; and is not a
30 replacement for true "network manager" apps. DHCP client != network manager
31 app
32
33 (3) Is udhcpc provided by busybox not sufficient in lieu of dhcpcd for stage3?
34
35 Thanks for your explanation(s).
36
37 Bruce
38 --
39 Happy Penguin Computers >')
40 126 Fenco Drive ( \
41 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
43 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
44 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
45
46 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
47 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
48 A: Top-posting.
49 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
50
51 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting