From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild design issue regarding some {I need the lib and api only}-DEPENDs
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:39:41
1 On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 10:13 -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:28 am, Christian Parpart wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>Do we have a general accepted gentoo policy for this?
8 > > general policy is to not split packages (and i agree with this ...)
9 >
10 > bind and bind-tools is split ;) Why is it so bad to split packages? (I'm
11 > just curious) Seems a bit odd that we can't have a library only, client
12 > only, etc package like the other distros. Of course, I understand that
13
14 Other distributions are also binary-only, so there's no real comparison
15 here. While I think having "client" and "server" type USE-flags is
16 really a bad idea, I don't see a problem with providing a library.
17
18 I 100% disagree with splitting the package into client and server, but
19 don't think it would be bad to have it like this:
20
21 net-libs/libmysqlclient
22 dev-db/mysql
23
24 You'll notice that there is no server package. The dev-db mysql package
25 should be the entire distribution. Splitting out a separate library for
26 client-only shouldn't be too bad, but I still disagree with it, for the
27 most part.
28
29 > we could use useflags for that, but is that really the best solution for
30 > this particular issue?
31
32 Honestly, we shouldn't be splitting packages like this. If upstream has
33 a "--clientonly" or "--libsonly" configure option, that would be one
34 thing, but if they don't why should we split them up? All it does is
35 increase the number of packages that would need to be updated for
36 security bugs and increase complexity, along with tree size. We already
37 complain about not enough manpower. Duplicating effort all over the
38 tree just to remove a few binaries from a system isn't a valuable use of
39 developer time, in my opinion. This is especially true as we have
40 methods of masking things from being installed.
41
42 > Oh well, I'm just a sysadmin, not a coder so I'll got back to my cave. ;)
45 Chris Gianelloni
47 Games - Developer
48 Gentoo Linux