From: Jani Monoses <jani@××.ro>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage config files question
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:11:19
1 Hi
2 I haven't been following gentoo-dev recently so this might have been raised before.
3 Are there any strong arguments against having all/most portage config files in one place?
4 For instance /etc/portage would be a good place for make.conf make.globals make.profile
5 And there are a lot of other config and metadata files scattered in /usr/portage and /var
6
7 Also since make.conf is supposed to be the one the user modifies it is annoying to have it
8 need an update when some comments or options are added.The user can either ignore the update
9 or manually merge the changes and set the USE vars and other preferences back.
10 Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a make.conf.example or even make.globals which is updated
11 while make.conf is entirely left to the user.I know there used to be a make.defaults but I
12 don't know what that was for.
13
14 There might be a nice elegant solution already to my problem but it's probably hard to find because
15 of this IMHO not too organized layout.
16
17 BTW I know it's bugzilla that should get feature requests and all that so if any of the above is
18 bugworthy I'll file it.
19
20 Thanks
21 Jani.