From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] db4
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 07:59:13
1 On Thursday 22 May 2003 23:31, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > After the 1.4 release, I think it would be a good idea to make another
3 > pass at making db4 the default in gentoo. We're starting to get
4 > packages such as the latest openldap that require db4. The current
5 > problem is that not all packages will build w/ db4 right now, but
6 > emerging db4 will stomp some files from db1 and db3 (and vice versa),
7 > from what I've seen. We could employ slots and a set of /usr/lib/dbx
8 > directories, but that's fairly intrusive. Most packages do now build w/
9 > db4 quite well, as it emulates db1 and db3 fairly nicely, or they can be
10 > patched to do so, and I think that's the better long-term solution.
11 > Unfortunately, some packages still refuse to behave. One example is
12 > courier-imap, which currently requires either db3 or gdbm. Debian's
13 > solution for their db4-based unstable tree has been to just compile
14 > courier-imap w/ gdbm. Presumably, if we want to give users a choice
15 > about the backend we could build db4 support in statically, but I don't
16 > have a feeling for how much of a pain that would be.
17 >
18 > Thoughts?
19
20 Basically the binaries are bitten by this. I was thinking we could just rename
21 them from db_archive to db4_archive (where archive is just an example)
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Researcher