From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new USE="win32" flag for mingw and prefix/windows support
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 22:52:09
1 On 20/04/16 12:58, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 20/04/16 03:41 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >>> According to 'file' the binary format is actually "PE32 executable
4 >>> (console) Intel 80386, for MS Windows" for a random *.exe file in my
5 >>> /usr/i686-w64-mingw32/usr/bin
6
7 That is because Mingw is for making native executables for Windows, not
8 ELF files. I do not recall Gentoo Prefix supporting Mingw in a
9 meaningful way (it supports Cygwin IIRC). It sounds like a bit of work,
10 but I sure would like to see it. The problem is still that on Windows,
11 cmd is terrible and mintty only gives a partial solution to having such
12 bad terminals. Viability seems very low as every one who uses Mingw
13 seems to have mostly their own undocumented ways to get things to work.
14 You can find this pattern among many open source projects.
15
16 >> yes and while it is reported by `file` as PE32, it is sometimes referred
17 >> to as just win32. its proper name, if i recall correctly is "Win32
18 >> Portable Executable File Format". it is the equivalent of ELF, COFF and
19 >> a.out in the Linux world and Mach-O in the Mac world. basically its the
20 >> format the linker/loader is looking for.
21
22 PE is essentially COFF with extensions applied. On top of that PE+ came
23 around the time of Windows Vista, and the format is not readable by
24 prior Windows versions like XP. Interestingly, even on a non-x86
25 platform the file will still have the MS-DOS stub (you can see this in
26 an XEX for Xbox 360).
27
28 Realistically, you only need to call it PE since XP is so dead.
29
30 >> with gentoo portage in there, i think
31 >> we'll expand in to a whole new market.
32
33 It is not easy. Ubuntu has always had trouble with Gentoo Prefix due to
34 a 'broken' toolchain that is kind of Debian-specific. A Debian-specific
35 bootstrap has to be made for this to work.
36
37 Andrew