From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/zlib: punt from system in profiles
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 03:23:25
On Tuesday 29 November 2011 21:14:49 Matt Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote: > > we have USE=zlib already which should cover automatically pulling in zlib > > when necessary, and we have that by default in make.conf. so there's no > > need to explicitly list zlib as part of the system target. so time to > > drop it. > > I don't object to this, but just to satisfy my curiosity, what are the > effects of removing, say, zlib or readline from the system profile? > It'd be very difficult if not impossible to construct a system without > these. The only effect I've noticed from changes like these are that > sometimes the packages will be depcleaned from stage3 tarballs if > nothing has them in RDEPEND.
you should be able to USE='-readline -zlib' and, for the most part, not have them get used. certainly for readline, almost nothing in the core (or much of the tree) uses it -- if we ignore bash because it bundles a copy of readline. i also want to keep it simple for slimmed down systems, and to keep the "core" set as small as possible for older systems during upgrade paths. -mike