From: Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for upower
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 16:21:08
1 On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 18:43 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > I find this useless at this time because the work is in-progress, but in
3 > order to silence the loud minority,
4 > please review the news item.
5 >
6 > Thanks!
7 >
8 > - Samuli
12 I appreciate your work on this - and you may call them the loud minority
13 - but this could definitely have been handled better. Instead of
14 viewing their complaints as an annoyance, view it as a learning point to
15 possibly realize that you're affecting a lot of desktops and people's
16 updates are suddenly stopping. I realize that this was mentioned in the
17 GWN, but not everyone subscribes to every possible news outlet for
18 Gentoo even if they use Gentoo, and the only one that is "guaranteed" to
19 get to them is a portage checkout, which is why news items are good,
20 especially when something like this occurs. Instead of belittling the
21 users because they are wasting so much of your time, try to empathize
22 with them a bit and realize that they are running into an actual issue
23 that could have been avoided easily with this news item.
24
25 That said, the news item looks good to me, and yeah it may be a bit late
26 now since this already happened.