From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge improvment
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:12:21
1 hi all.
2
3 I just discovered the etcat utility which is really great. In fact, I
4 had a problem with quake3-nsco, and someone told me that there was a
5 "dedicated" USE flag for this package. I had no idea that it was
6 possible to get available flags for a package, and I think a lot of
7 gentoo users don't do an etcat before emerging something.
8
9 That's why I propore a new tool in portage. This would be a frontend to
10 emerge. I already proposed it a couple of months ago. I won't be able
11 to develop it, but I know some devs here with great skills in python.
12 (BTW, I couldn't find the portage API doc, just :
13 http://dev.gentoo.org/~g2boojum/portage.html#importing-portage
14 ).
15
16 The tool would be developed in python + dialog
17 (http://pythondialog.sourceforge.net/), since we could use the portage
18 api directly.
19
20 First Menu :
21
22 - Portage update (-> emerge rsync)
23 - Portage upgrade (-> emerge -UDp world, then UD world)
24 - Emerge a package (-> see bellow)
25 - Quit
26
27 -> Emerge a package will display a menu with all categories from
28 /usr/portage/profiles/categories.
29 When a category is selected, the tool would display all packages in this
30 category :
31
32 ----------------------------------------------------------------
33
34 [ X ] package packages Desc (This package is installed)
35 [ ] package2 other package Desc (package not installed).
38 ----------------------------------------------------------------
39
40 --> When selecting a new package :
41 (for exemple : games-fps/quake3-nsco-1.45)
42
43 ----------------------------------------------------------------
44
45 [ X ] opengl : Adds support for OpenGL
46 [ X ] X : Adds support for XFree86
47 [ ] dedicated : Adds support for dedicated game servers
50 [ OK ] [UNMERGE] [CANCEL]
51
53
54 -> The user can see all available USE flags for this package. If he
55 changes a flag, the package will be emerged again with the new option.
56 He also have the possibility of unmerge it.
57
58 Someone interrested ? please let me know.
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list