From: "Alin Năstac" <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC : New ebuild function pkg_create for creating corespondent sorce tarball
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:21:03
1 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Alin Năstac wrote:
3 >
4 >> The upstream doesn't offer a source tarball, so I need to construct
5 >> it myself from their svn repository.
8 > If you're creating a live ebuild, there are already existing eclasses
9 > that works from the user's POV.
10 >
11 I'm not speaking about live ebuilds, only about building a source
12 tarball for a specific version where upstream doesn't offer such thing.
13 > If your aim is to create an ebuild for a specific version, you might as
14 > well checkout stuff yourself and let Gentoo mirror the generated tarball
15 > (your mail doesn't talk about RESTRICT=fetch). If you let Gentoo mirror
16 > the tarball, users are likely to be happier because they'll get the file
17 > faster and in a more reliable way.
18 >
19 What I want is a function that creates the source tarball, based on
20 whatever developer needs for that (the most usual case is a tag export
21 from a svn/cvs repository). The tarball will be placed on Gentoo mirrors
22 at the end (users will not run this new function, only the maintainer).
23 See app-mobilephone/bitpim ebuild example, it will speak for itself.
24
25 This can be solved also through an external script, but IMO this
26 solution is ugly. Ebuilds should contain whatever is needed for their
27 maintenance.