From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Several portage trees
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:35:16
1 Francisco Gimeno wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I was wondering about having several portage trees to allow external
5 > distributor having repositories of packages.
6 <snip>
7 > It could be really useful, if we could use something like it
8
9 This has been brought up before and I personally do not really like the
10 idea too much, i think it makes the distro less reliable as whole if we
11 add options like this. People will start using repositories here and
12 there and in the end we will get bugreports on ebuilds we never approved
13 or even saw (and some ebuilds can have far reaching effects). No, i
14 think 'external distributors' should try and go trough the normal
15 channels and get their ebuilds Gentoo approved.
18 > I think it solves a lot of complains about flexibility and edging of Gentoo.
21 What complaints ? Is it so hard to download an ebuild in put it in your
22 local overlay ? The extra step required does make sure you are aware
23 that you are using non-approved ebuilds.
24
25 - foser
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list