From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:56:01
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > We have received *numerous* complaints from users about the decision to
3 > remove stage 1 and 2 from the installation documentation. I realize it's
4 > still available if users are willing to dig for it, but not all users do.
5 >
6 > In my years of monitoring www@g.o, we've received the most
7 > complaints about this decision than any other single decision. Is there a
8 > way we can re-introduce the stages into the installation documentation,
9 > perhaps with gigantic warnings saying, "for advanced users only" or "use at
10 > your own risk"?
11
12 Well, if we could educate the users that stage2 tarballs are totally
13 pointless, and that running bootstrap.sh followed by emerge -e system
14 from a stage3 is pretty much *exactly* the same as starting a stage1
15 from scratch...
16
17 To me, the email from that user sounds like the typical vocal minority
18 of users who make "screw common sense in favor of choice" complaints
19 whenever we change something for the better.
20
21 -Steve
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list