From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new net.ppp0
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:37:36
1 On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 23:48, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I have been working on a net.ppp0 that actually works.
5 >
6 > The goals I had in mind was:
7 >
8 > 1) Easy to setup. No big hassle for end user or when doing
9 > bootstrap.
10 >
11 > 2) Not that complex, but flexible enouth for most common
12 > setup's. Should also allow user to use his own config
13 > if he require a more arcane setup.
14 >
15 > 3) Should be universal for common setup's.
18 > Now, so far it is working for me, but i assume that not all
19 > countries/isp's have the same chat scripts, etc, but you
20 > should be able to setup something generic that should cover
21 > most.
22 >
23 > In trying to do this, I want to ask developers (also any of
24 > our experienced users) using a ppp connection to test this.
25 > Also, please dont commit any changes to CVS, but mail me the
26 > diffs rather, as I would like to oversee changes until we have
27 > a nice stable release.
28 >
29 > How it works, is the user change the values at the top of
30 > net.ppp0 (like net.eth0, etc), and then net.ppp0 uses that
31 > to build the secrets files, the peers file, the chat file,
32 > etc. This should be ok for most setups I think, and more
33 > specialized setups should not be covered by this script, as
34 > we are not a newbie distro. This auto gen of scripts can
35 > anyhow be disabled, so it will work with specialized setups
36 > without a major hacking effort.
37 >
38 > The main catch 21 is probably going to be with the chat script, so what
39 > i would appreciate, is if you are required to
40 > make changes, make it to /usr/lib/ppp/chat-default, and mail
41 > me the diffs. Try to keep in mind that it should still work
42 > for other people if possible.
43 >
44 > To install, merge ppp-2.4.1-r6.ebuild (masked), and cp the
45 > ._cfg_000_net.ppp0 to net.ppp0. Just make sure to backup
46 > /etc/ppp/*, as most files in there is going to be overwritten.
47 > Also note that /etc/ppp/options is not touched, so other pppd
48 > options can be put in there, or specified with the PPPOPTIONS.
51 > As im tired, please forgive if not too clean, and feel free
52 > to drop me a mail if there is questions.
56 NOTE: pon and poff is currently disabled until i can think
57 what to do with them. Im thinking to make it pon <ppp?>
58 and poff <ppp?> with poff without args stopping all
59 ppp interfaces. Suggestions ?
63 Martin Schlemmer
64 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
65 Cape Town, South Africa