From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving the Sandbox project
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 15:20:34
1 W dniu pią, 22.09.2017 o godzinie 12∶57 +0200, użytkownik Alexis Ballier
2 napisał:
3 > On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:07:18 +0200
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > W dniu czw, 21.09.2017 o godzinie 15∶41 -0700, użytkownik Matt Turner
7 > > napisał:
8 > > > On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
9 > > > wrote:
10 > > > > Given that sandbox is utterly broken by design, I don't really
11 > > > > want to put too much effort in trying to make it a little better.
12 > > > > I'd rather put the minimal effort required to make it
13 > > > > not-much-worse.
14 > > >
15 > > > You said in your initial email that you weren't an expert in its
16 > > > internals, but here you say it's broken by design. Why do you think
17 > > > that?
18 > > >
19 > >
20 > > Because it uses LD_PRELOAD which is a huge hack and which causes
21 > > guaranteed issues we can't really fix. All we can do is disable it for
22 > > emacs, for compiler-rt and I'm afraid this list will grow because
23 > > overriding random library functions is never a good idea.
26 > I think we're all ears for a better solution. There are probably much
27 > better ways to do sandboxing these days than 15 years ago.
28 >
29 > LD_PRELOAD does not work with static binaries. Hence the non
30 > portable ptrace stuff. Hence bugs. Etc. The point is, that's the
31 > best we have now.
34 I know of two obvious alternatives: ptrace and filesystem layer (e.g.
35 FUSE).
36
37 For the former, there's sydbox. I'm going to look into integrating it
38 into Portage when I have more time.
39
40 For the latter, I have writing one in TODO. But I'm not sure when I'll
41 have enough time to do work on it.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny