From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Package version in case of upstream patches from stable branch of development
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 12:06:05
1 Hi.
2
3 How should we version our packages in case we've backported upstream
4 patches from stable branch of development? Bug 330667 requests _p or
5 _pre. I feel that _p|_pre versions should be left for VCS (read
6 development) versions of the package, while during backports we have the
7 best version with all important upstream+gentoo fixes available to the
8 moment and I'd better avoid to call it development.
9
10 If we decide to go with _p or _pre could we agree on answers for the
11 following questions:
12 - Does single patch from upstream's VCS justify _p$(date|rev) version?
13 What if this is _the only_ patch in the upstream's VCS?
14 - Now what about two patches? Three? N? When does few patches became
15 pile?
16 - What if I drop single patch from the upstream's patchset for stable
17 branch, should we drop _pre _p version and add -rN?
18 - What if there are two dependent patches, and first one fixes
19 indentation? Should we spend time on backporting second patch (time
20 consuming and error prone process) or use both and live closer to
21 upstream?
22
23 I think without exact answers on this questions I don't think this bug
24 330667 may request anything, only suggest... But what do you think?
27 Peter.