From: matt c <matt@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 final against rc's
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:00:26
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Michael Cummings" <mcummings@g.o>
3 Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 6:11 AM
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4 final against rc's
7 > Another 2 cents (can we buy a cup of coffee yet?) -
8 >
9 > What about "milestone" instead?
10
11 I think this will still cause confusion among the users. Calling Gentoo
12 anything other than Gentoo (even a milestone or a snapshot) is still giving
13 it a version number. A version number implies that there is something to be
14 updated. Sure, the baselayout changes, as does gcc and xfree, etc. But this
15 is a constantly changing thing - HIGHLY dependant upon your ~arch or lack
16 thereof, and how often you update packages. Users will still think they need
17 to "reinstall" or "upgrade" something.
18
19 I think that is the strength of Gentoo - no two installations will ever be
20 even close to the same. How can one put any sort of number on this? By
21 versioning the stages, we remove any doubt about what people have - one
22 could say "I installed with Gentoo Stage1-1.4 and I now have a 'Gentoo
23 System'." How can one put a version number on my system (which is completely
24 and utterly different than almost any one elses?) The only thing my
25 installation has in common with anyone elses is that I installed from the
26 same stage and stage version as others did.
27
28 Matt
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list