From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Category tags on packages (was: new categories:)
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:07:13
1 I would keep existing categories and add a new TAG metadata to existing
2 ebuilds. Something like TAG="kde music player lyrics lastfm
3 visualization" for amarok, as example.
4
5 A public list of *ALLOWED* tags would be published on our www
6 infrastructures.
7
8 Then during the portage metadata regeneration process, a new tags dir
9 (under portage metadata dir) would be created with files for EACH tag.
10 Each tag file would include the fully qualified name for the ebuilds in
11 which the tag is present.
12
13 This way, given a set of tags, it is easy and fast too lookup which
14 ebuilds match the given tags and how much (percentage) they match them.
15
16 For example:
17 The user searches for "music gnome lyrics"
18
19 exaile is tagged as "(...) music gnome lyrics"
20 gnome-mplayer is tagged as "(...) music gnome"
21 amarok is tagged as "(...) music lyrics"
22 (...)
23
24 So we can give an interest-ordered list to the user.
25
26 Just my two cents,
27 Thanks all
28 --