From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:46:19
1 On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 >> The policy is also because any ebuild relying on a network service
4 >> to work cannot be assured to work at any point in time
5 >
6 > While noble, I think it is a bit naïve. Reality is that many if not
7 > most ebuilds *anyway* rely on temporal things - such as a current
8 > enough versions of portage, or a new enough profile, or tar and sed.
9
10 These are things that we have covered, generally speaking. @system
11 will bring in tar and sed, and a minimum version of portage. Old
12 profiles are tagged as deprecated, and users are encouraged to migrate
13 to current profiles. The PMS defines which bits the ebuilds can use,
14 and if a program needs a 'newer' sed, it should say so in its
15 dependencies.
16
17 We could add something like PROPERTIES="network" to packages that
18 require the network. I'm vaguely sure for instance, that some
19 src_test() phases require a functioning network to work properly.
22 > Requiring git and a network connection is the restriction imposed by
23 > the copyright holder. There's really no way around that.
24
25 I'm confused though, we can easily just make 2 ebuilds.
26
27 linux-firmware[non-free] <- the use flag to toggle between free and
28 non-free licenses.
29 linux-firmware-noredist <- This one is RESTRICT="fetch mirror"
30
31 RESTRICT="fetch mirror" already exists, has existed for years, and
32 exists for exactly this purpose.
36 >> depends on the network connection of the user, but it also depends
37 >> on the service to be available.
38 >
39 > Right, because those files can only be legally distributed by the
40 > service on the network. No matter how much you and I think that
41 > sucks, it is still the only way for the user to get that file.
42 >
43 > It makes no sense to make that unneccessarily difficult for users.
44
45 I don't think fetch restriction is that annoying. You could argue that
46 we do it debian / ubuntu style where the files are fetched in a
47 postinstall, but I think that is sort of hacky myself.
51 >> So don't even _think_ about trying to ask for an exception for Git,
52 >> because you'll have to have it over my ssh key.
53 >
54 > This is just trying to be a bully and acting like a drama queen,
55 > which does nothing but make you look super silly, and that seems
56 > completely unneccessary.
57 >
58 > If you dislike something then you should express that in a more
59 > mature manner so that people can actually take you seriously.
60 >
61 > When you behave badly like this you just end up getting bad behavior,
62 > spite and disrespect in return, even if it takes a while to reach you.
65 > //Peter