From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Require full $P not just $PN on stable/keyword commit messages
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 20:36:20
1 On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 12:59 PM Michael 'veremitz' Everitt
2 <gentoo@×××××××.xyz> wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I've noticed a lot of stabilisation commit messages (and a few keywording
7 > ones too) simply state the package atom and not the relevant
8 > release/version. I find this a little meaningless, as unless this is the
9 > first time the package has ever been either stabilised or keyworded, it is
10 > reasonable to expect that there is/was some transition point for a package
11 > from when it first entered the Gentoo Repository.
12 >
13 > Therefore, it would be much /more/ useful to have the package-version
14 > tagged in the commit message, so that you could easily grep logs for when a
15 > given version of a package was stabilised, and/or keyworded. Granted, this
16 > is more of-use in a historical context compared to a present (future?!)
17 > one, but I would argue that it conveys more meaning -with- the version than
18 > without.
19
20 Yes, I agree we should do this. My commit messages look like:
21
22 sys-apps/systemd-243-r2: ppc64 stable, bug 698766
23 net-misc/mosh-1.3.2: added ~alpha
24
25 In the past people have argued that the version in the title is
26 superfluous since you can get the same info from git (log|show) --stat
27 but the same (misguided argument) can be used to justify something
28 absurd like simply making the bug number the subject.
29
30 Honestly, just put the dang version in the title.