From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:22:11
1 On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 19:50:14 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We have a pull request for the devmanual that will update the revision
5 > documentation; namely, when to create a new one:
6 >
7 > https://github.com/gentoo/devmanual.gentoo.org/pull/67
8 >
9 > The comments bring up an issue that I think can benefit from some
10 > hindsight. Specifically, the PR says that it's OK to change IUSE
11 > without creating a revision, because users can use --changed-use to
12 > catch it. My immediate objection to that was that --changed-use is
13 > specific to Portage, but let's reflect on the status quo.
14
15 The simple rule of thumb from way back when on revisions. If anything
16 on disk changes, then you should do a revision bump.
17
18 IUSE flag changes would in likely several ways change what is
19 installed. If nothing else the package database in /var/db/pkg would
20 change. Thus merits a revision bump.
24 William L. Thomson Jr.