From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: grub reiser4
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:26
1 On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:02 +0000, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 02/10/05, R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The grub maintainer's stance was that reiser 4 support would not be
4 > > included in grub until it was included in gentoo-sources, not any kernel
5 > > in portage. The grub maintainer has been AWOL for the last 9 months or
6 > > so however, so i guess it's now up to the base-system herd. I was under
7 > > the impression that feature-adding patches should be sent upstream.
8 > >
9 > > I still think it's retarded to have a reiser 4 boot partition, but
10 > > whatever stirs your pot. ;P
11 >
12 > It makes sense if you're actually using reiser4 for everything else.
13 > Why bloat your kernel with an extra FS just for /boot?
14
15 The space added to a kernel for ext2 is *much* less than the overhead of
16 using a journaling file system for /boot. You're wasting exponentially
17 more space using reiser on /boot. The same would be true if you were
18 using ext3, which is why you always see us suggesting using ext2 for
19 boot.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
24 x86 Architecture Team