From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 08:41:24
1 On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> writes:
4 >
5 >> - Space savings. Certainly your scheme may be smaller, but the XML
6 >> tag overhead may eat into the savings. You should do some estimates
7 >> to show the community how much smaller the tree will be from this
8 >> proposal.
9 >
10 > Sorry but you lost me on any point you might have brought across since
11 > after this I feel like you were trying to put words in my mouth.
12
13 Sorry for that, I never meant to imply that you said space savings.
14
15 That being said I still don't see the usefulness here.
16
17 You seem to think that using the existing APIs for this data is wrong,
18 and I think the opposite, so I guess we will agree to disagree on this
19 matter.
22 > Beside, if you really want to go down that road you should be counting
23 > that beside ReiserFS with tail, I don't remember any other Linux FS that
24 > has block smaller than 512bytes, which means that each file in metadata
25 > cache is taking up much more than just its size in characters.
26 >
27 > All your math is thus wrong.
28
29 As was pointed out on IRC, UTF8 characters are not a fixed size,
30 making my math even more wrong ;)
33 > --
34 > Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
35 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/