From: Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo "stable" going in wrong direction ?
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:26:57
1 > AFAIK gentoo-stable currently is in the process of being integrated
2 > into gentoo.org (and into bugzilla?).
3
4 While there are thoughts about integrating Gentoo Stable into Bugzilla, there are no efforts currently underway to do this (at least from
5 my side - I know nothing about Bugzilla internals).
6
7 > gentoo-stable.iq-computing.de is
8 > not official. It is only open to public for testing and for comments
9 > (from mostly gentoo devs, maybe some users). It would probably be a bit
10 > too soon to have many thousands of people use a system that is still
11 > under heavy development.
12
13 It's true that Gentoo Stable is under development, but that doesn't mean it's unusable at all. In fact, it works quite well for what is
14 there, and there's even more to come (as suggestions fly in).
15
16 > but like I
17 > said, it still is in the development/testing/open for comments stage
18 > and is probably not production ready (again...you should ask maik)
19
20 As I said above, the system is in a usable state, though not complete yet.
21 (OTOH, you can always add new stuff and never stop, right.)
22
23 > We want user input, but I can imagine Maik
24 > doesn't want a few thousand people reporting everything. We don't want
25 > to slashdot maik's server. (That doesn't mean that you can't have a
26 > look at it and send your comments to this list or even to maik if you
27 > find a bug).
28
29 If you ask me, I would _really_ like to see thousands of reports coming in each day.
32 As far as any "official" status is concerned, this is really not up to me. I've spoken with several people, regularly mail to -core about
33 it, and then some. Also there is the thought of integrating it into Bugzilla, or vice versa. (Actually, I don't think using Bugzilla is
34 such a nice idea in the first place, and integrating Gentoo Stable into it makes it even worse. But that's a different story.)
37 Maik Schreiber, Gentoo Linux Developer
38 http://www.gentoo.org
39 mailto:blizzy@g.o
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list