From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: nelchael@g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new feature to disable merging into stray locations
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:28:45
1 On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:23:03 +0200
2 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 30/04/12 10:12, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > >>>>>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > >> Since lately Gentoo devs force you to replace collision-protect
7 > >> with protect-owned [1] and sometimes packages just spit out files
8 > >> randomly on the filesystem due to random errors, I thought it may
9 > >> be a good idea to provide a new feature limiting the locations
10 > >> where packages can install.
11 > >
12 > > If the eclass doesn't work with FEATURES="collision-protect" then it
13 > > needs to be fixed.
14 >
15 > Long story short: older eclass compiled Python byte code in live file
16 > system, new one does it in src_install so .pyo/.pyc gets properly
17 > recorded, so the package *has to overwrite* files that are not owned
18 > by anyone (no package owns them). I've talked to Zac and:
19 >
20 > >>>
21 > There's not much else you can do. However, FEATURES="protect-owned" is
22 > enabled by default, and it will work fine if the .pyo and .pyc files
23 > are not owned by anything. I don't know why people use
24 > FEATURES="collision-protect", but at least you can tell them that
25 > they'll still have a reasonable level of protection from
26 > FEATURES="protect-owned" (it protect against file collisions between
27 > packages).
28 > <<<
29 >
30 > If you want to help feel free to suggest *how* to fix it, patches are
31 > especially welcomed :)
32
33 Just make it warn or something like that. Or even fail but only when
34 such files exist. There is no point in forcing me to disable
35 collision-protect when the ebuilds were migrated already.
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny