From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:00:45
1 On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 02:20:48 -0500 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 06:37 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Nor are most Gentoo projects controlled by Gentoo. Try asking for a
5 > > new feature in Portage sometime if you think that Gentoo has any
6 > > say over how projects are developed...
7 >
8 > Uhh...
9 >
10 > Bug #167667
11 > Bug #167668
12 >
13 > Just because the features that you ask for aren't done, don't mean
14 > features aren't added on request. Sure, my feature requests are much
15 > simpler than "add some new ability to dependency resolution" to
16 > implement, but they prove the point that no matter how much bitching
17 > and whining people do, the portage team *is* responsive and does fill
18 > requests in a timely manner. It's even easier if you provide patches.
19
20 No, they fill *some* requests in a timely manner, whilst ignoring many
21 things that the tree, developers and users really need.
22
23 > The EAPI=0 document was supposed to be a QA project. What it is now,
24 > I have no idea. While the current PMS project is not what we asked
25 > for and *is* outside the scope of Gentoo, due to our wishing to still
26 > *have* a specification of EAPI=0, we are wanting to look at other
27 > possibilities for getting one done. What the Council is interested
28 > in is a specification of expected behavior of an EAPI=0 compatible
29 > package manager. At this point, I don't give a damn who writes it or
30 > what implementation, if any, matches it 100%. I am pretty sure it'll
31 > be *very* close to current portage functionality, side-effects and
32 > bugs excluded, of course. We asked for a specification. If the PMS
33 > team is unable or unwilling to provide us with what we asked under
34 > the terms we asked for it, we're going to pursue other options. We
35 > can't control PMS< but we also don't have to sit around and do
36 > nothing to reach the Council's goal of an approved specification for
37 > EAPI=0, a goal which I believe some people lost sight of some time
38 > ago.
39
40 A specification that no-one follows or that is full of inaccuracies is
41 worthless.
44 Ciaran McCreesh
45 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
46 Web : http://ciaranm.org/