From: warnera6 <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:59:38
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 15:29 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
3 >
4 >>Alternatives/better approaches I'd be open to, although I'll admit up
5 >>front I think what you're attempting needs to be pkg specific, which
6 >>implies DESCRIPTION in the ebuild (to me at least).
9 > Snipping pretty much everything since I *really* don't care.
10 >
11 > I'm just dumping this idea. I was proposing it because of a
12 > conversation with a user where we thought it would be a good idea to
13 > give the user some way of knowing that a package requires some
14 > additional purchased (or otherwise obtained) portion that is not a
15 > distfile/tarball. Anyway, you seem to have done a good job of
16 > convincing me of whatever it is you think you've convinced me of, but
17 > the truth is I just didn't care enough to bother getting into some
18 > pointless pissing match over something that I didn't feel very strongly
19 > about in the first place. Basically, you "win" by default of me just
20 > not caring enough to argue anymore.
21 A. The above is kind of sad in terms of the outcome, I'm sorry more
22 people didn't jive with your idea, but there is no need to cry about it.
23 B. Whats wrong with stuffing it into metadata.xml and modifying p.g.o
24 to pull the extra data out? It certainly isn't that complicated. Or
25 just modify the DESCRIPTION field. "Doom3" -> DESCRIPTION = " A popular
26 first person shooter. This game requires a license key to play." Simple no?
27
28 -Alec Warner
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list