From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: split up media-sound/ category
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:35:57
1 On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 08:22, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I think something else that may be important to consider if one is
3 > eliminating category directories is how we'll replace the utility
4 > currently provided by category/metadata.xml
5 >
6 > Some things are simply grossly impractical to maintain individual
7 > metadata.xml for reliably due to volume ( ie: dev-perl/* , last I
8 > looked, the metadata.xml in there presently is largely copy-pasted
9 > between dists )
10 >
11 Looking at the category/metadata.xml, it's a multilingual dictionary
12 entry and little else. So make a dictionary of tags (categories).
13 And what does the latter half have to do with tagging things? Where's
14 the maintenance? There's the overhead of tagging it once, I'll grant.
15 And then? Tags are unlikely to change all that frequently once
16 they've been added (they don't need to).
17
18 > Perhaps we need a new way to apply metadata to a whole host of packages?
19 >
20 > Trying to make useflags apply to all packages
21 > with a given tagset would be comparatively messy.
22 >
23 Why do you think that? The directory-like notation doesn't even need
24 to be discarded:
25 perl_module/* ssl
26
27 > categories also make it easy to do Naïve iteration of packages
28 > efficiently, ie: for the most part, if you want to iterate all
29 > perl-modules, you just need to iterate dev-perl and perl-core , and
30 > that is all, you're not bogged down by stepping into all the other
31 > categories, loading all their files and working out whether or not
32 > they're perl related. ( Yes, I am aware this has its own caveats, but
33 > if you know of these caveats and they're acceptable to your task, then
34 > its fine )
35 >
36 Or just iterate over the perl_module tag.
37
38 > the 'virtuals' category also is a bundle of fun. I really do not want
39 > to see virtuals identified only by whatever their unique-idenitifier
40 > might be and the tag 'virtual'. Yuck.
41 >
42 In the first place, it's still no different: mysql (the virtual) pulls
43 in db-mysql (or "charles" or whatever name sounds good) whatever else
44 is available. Or, as I mentioned before, while unique identifiers are
45 really terribly simple, we are fully capable of working around the
46 lack of that feature. What prevents virtual/mysql from pulling in
47 database/mysql?
48
49 Regards,
50 Wyatt