From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Empty project: Desktop
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 18:19:50
1 El jue, 11-08-2016 a las 13:15 +0300, Mart Raudsepp escribió:
2 > [...]
3 > It should be kept for the purposes of coordination between different
4 > specific desktop projects and the grouping of them it provides as
5 > subprojects.
6 > However that doesn't mean it should have any packages in the tree
7 > that
8 > the desktop projects maintains itself personally, instead of one of
9 > its
10 > subprojects.
11 >
12 > One of my gentoo plans, when I have time, has been in reviving such
13 > desktop-wide coordinations, possibly under the desktop project
14 > banner.
15 > E.g my started USE=gui and toolkit threads when I had time.
16 >
17 > Frankly, it would be weird to not have a project that broadly manages
18 > all the desktop stuff.
19 > We should manage this all better under a broad desktop project that
20 > manages documentation, some policies, etc, but doesn't necessarily
21 > have
22 > any packages that it maintains in tree.
23 >
24 > If we need a new lead election per GLEP 39, I'm sure we have some
25 > volunteers from the subprojects to throw their name in, that are
26 > interested in having a good desktop-wide organization going on.
27 > Myself
28 > included.
31 > Mart
34 Apart of me not understanding why are we reviving this that was already
35 discussed when killing the old freedesktop-bugs herds in favor of the
36 correct project, I don't think it makes sense to keep this concrete
37 dead project for that potential and hypothetical changes that could
38 benefit from it in the far future.
39
40 Maybe when something of that is finally going to be done, we need that
41 project and, in that case, you will be able of course to create your
42 Project following the standard policy that allows to do that to any
43 developers.