From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New category: net-voip
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:29:19
1 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> posted 1153321851.6243.20.camel@onyx,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:10:51 -0400:
3
4 > On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 17:39 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >> On Tuesday 18 July 2006 14:17, Ned Ludd wrote:
6 >> > There is no consistency for end users when stuff keeps getting shuffled
7 >> > around.
8 >>
9 >> i dont see why end users should care ... devs should update the
10 >> profile/updates/ files and portage should do the rest
11 >
12 > Every single year quarter after quarter the more updates
13 > that happen the slower portage is becoming.
14 > Care to solve that?
15
16 I don't know all of what portage devs did to fixpackages, but with the
17 2.1.1-pre series now in ~arch anyway (and I /thought/ in 2.1.0, but I may
18 have been mistaken), it's /so/ much faster, I finally added
19 FEATURES=fixpackages to make.conf -- along with the FEATURES=buildpkg I've
20 had there for some time!
21
22 Where back with 2.0.5x, it would take forever, starting with moves even
23 before I had a Gentoo installed (I never did figure out why it couldn't
24 start from the date of the last one and only do any new fixes, or at
25 /least/ ignore ones from before my first Gentoo install), now it seems to
26 skip over them all at once and only slow down when it gets to new
27 packages. IOW, it seems like they've implemented the timestamp thing and
28 only update things since then, like I would have thought reasonable to do
29 all along.
30
31 To put it another way, with new portage, fixpackages doesn't seem to be an
32 issue at all! My first emerge --pretend --update --deep --newuse world
33 (before it's all memory cached) seems to take longer than fixpackages
34 does, now. Either they did something very right, or they did something
35 very wrong and it's skipping everything it should be doing, therefore
36 explaining the dramatic speed improvements! =8^)
37
38 In any case, I used to dread running fixpackages, but it's now simply not
39 an issue! =8^)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list