From: "Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier" <contact@×××××××××.me>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we allow "GPL, v2 or later" for ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 11:20:45
1 [2020-01-27 12:41:26+0100] Ulrich Mueller:
2 > So, the question is, should we allow ebuilds
3 > # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
4 > in the repository, or should we even encourage it for new ebuilds?
5 >
6 > I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, I think
7 > that GPL-2+ should generally be preferred because it offers better
8 > compatibility. For example, the compatibility clause in CC-BY-SA-4.0
9 > won't work with GPL-2.
10
11 Is there another reason for GPL-2+ than just compatibility?
12 Because I quite find the "or later" thing to be quite a scary one as
13 whatever will come up next as a GPL will become applicable and it feels
14 quite weird to me to have a license that can evolve to whatever
15 license over time.
16
17 I think I would personally slightly prefer to have it be properly
18 dual-licensed GPL-{2,3} or GPL-2 & CC-BY-SA-4.0 instead.