From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc service script dependency checker
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:53:08
1 On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 >
3 > What if now, by some accident, iptables ends up in a loop (maybe not even a loop including $insecure_service, but some other loop entirely), and it’s the randomly chosen victim? Is it still good to boot as many services as possible? I think not.
4
5 My understanding of the algorithm is that it explicitly does not break
6 on "need" boundaries and cycle breaking doesn't affect the rest of the
7 graph. So in that scenario, if iptables isn't started, your
8 hypothetical insecure service won't be started either. It's rather
9 conservative and sane, IMO.
10
11 -Wyatt