From: Timo Lindemann <lindem@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.DE>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage suggestion
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:25:24
1 Hi all,
2
3 Everytime I install a Gentoo on a system, I curse and scream about one of
4 the major flaws in portage.
5
6 Whenever I want just one program emerged, say, on a laptop using xfce4 on
7 xfree, USE="-kde -esd -arts
8 -alsa -oss":
9 I want to emerge anjuta, portage wants gnomelibs, which in turn want esd.
10 It totally ignores my
11 useflags, the fact that this notebook does not HAVE sound hardware. OK,
12 that would be too much for
13 portage to know, but the USE is ignored anyway. I just want to run anjuta
14 with xfce4.
15 Okay, I think. Lets emerge all that shit, and get over with.
16 Next thing, I want licq. I pretend. Guess what appears on the list? artsd!
17 I cant stand it, really.
18 Gentoo would be such a nice distro, but it is ALL BLOATED. The fact that
19 it is the best distro out
20 there does make up to that, but it just would be NICER it didn't have to.
21 So I suggest: Let there be
22 a mode for Portage where all CRITICAL dependencies are shown, what the
23 program I want NEEDS to run.
24 I dont want to have an entire OS installed if I just want one program.
25 artsd is not a dep from licq,
26 but somehow entagled in that kde thing, which I dont WANT to have. So, a
27 distinction needs to be
28 made between USEFUL deps, or standard deps, and CRITICAL deps, or needed
29 deps.
30
31 What do you think?
32