From: Marty Plummer <netz.kernel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mingw-w64 crossdev prefix?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 04:43:43
1 On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:42:09AM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 18/05/17 12:08 AM, Marty Plummer wrote:
3 > > On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 06:46:24AM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >> You can emerge crossdev and then run crossdev -t x86_64-w64-mingw32 or
6 > >> crossdev -t i686-w64-mingw32
7 > >> Alon
8 > >>
9 > > I'm aware of that, using it. Its simply the fact that its fairly broken
10 > > for mingw-w64, and requires quite a lot of hackage to get going.
11 > >
12 > > What I'm suggesting is the creation of a profile that should handle this
13 > > sort of thing for you semi-automatically. Something like the
14 > > prefix/windows, but meant more for toolchains. it seems that beber's
15 > > portage tree at git.meleeweb.net/gentoo/portage.git already has a setup
16 > > similar to what I envision already.
19 > There isn't a whole lot that's broken about it actually -- the main
20 > issue is that the default 'embedded' profile doesn't allow all of the
21 > variable overrides in it that are necessary for the crossdev to work
22 > properly. See bug http://bugs.gentoo.org/487310
23 >
24 > The crossdev that's created will provide all the necessary profile
25 > overrides to allow you to emerge the things you want, and of course
26 > compile your own things as well. There's no need for a special prefix
27 > (or 'prefix/*' profile) in order to support this, IMO, once the
28 > embedded profile permits the overrides necessary to the ARCH, ELIBC,
29 > and KERNEL variables that the crossdev tool already sets.
32 So why do we not just fix the embedded profile? crossdev sets it
33 automatically, and then sets those variables, but the profile itself
34 won't let that work? seems like a bad idea to have an official tool use
35 an official profile which officially is not allowed to work like that.