From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Simple crude tool to make massive changes ebuild-batcher.sh
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 17:18:17
1 Do you find yourself having to make a change to a lot of ebuilds?
2
3 If that is something you face or have run into, then I have a simple crude
4 tool for you called ebuild-batcher.sh[1]. A simple crude bash script that
5 using an external file[2] that can modify ebuilds, files, etc across the entire
6 tree or list of packages.
7
8 This is a pretty simple crude tool that can save tremendous amounts of time.
9 The external file specifies what ever change needs to be made. This can be minor
10 or major, and can have lots of complex logic. This could be potentially used
11 for any new EAPI, to make such changes to the tree automatically.
12
13 I might even go so far as to propose if you are suggesting something in EAPI.
14 That you write a file that can modify all ebuilds. That is not practical for
15 all things but might be for some things.
16
17 None the less this tool allows you to make the same change to a batch of
18 ebuilds. The tool is 100% safe, as if anything fails at any time for a given
19 package. It is reverted to its previous state and it moves on to the next.
20
21 I chose bash to keep it simple, and I hate python, so not sure what other I
22 might have used. I do not believe it need be complex requiring use of other
23 languages but possibly.
24
25 Anyway look it over, duplicate and make better if you like, or send me
26 patches, etc. Maybe eventually this can be adopted as an official Gentoo tool
27 and added to a developer toolkit. None of that matters to me really. I made it
28 to save myself time and address a problem I was facing. If it others find it
29 useful great. :)
30
31 1. https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/ebuild-batcher
32 2. https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/ebuild-batcher/tree/master/scripts