From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:28:35
1 Ryan Phillips wrote: [Fri Apr 28 2006, 01:57:30PM CDT]
2 > I disagree. The developers should make *all* the decisions.
3
4 Originally, Gentoo was effectively a meritocracy. It's now, in some
5 respects, a republic. If you want a democracy, feel free to draft a new
6 "metastructure" proposal (feel free to name it something less awkward),
7 and drum up support to get it voted upon.
8
9 > Bypass the council. The council should be there only for when we get
10 > sued, and manage the money we make.
11
12 For what it's worth, the Council does neither of those things. That's
13 what the Gentoo Foundation is for.
14
15 > Does anyone agree that having a council is too political? I strongly
16 > believe it stifles gentoo.
17
18 Do you have some specific examples of how you've seen the Council
19 stifle Gentoo, or is it mainly just a general impression?
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76