From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VDB access
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:14:17
1 On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:21:34 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > > * Allow package managers that implement native_built_with_use to
4 > > sandbox off vdb completely, and ban all ebuild access to vdb.
5 >
6 > The problem that I see with native_built_with_use is that the
7 > package manager will then need to precisely implement the
8 > build_with_use interface along with any and all supported options
9 > (and this interface would effectively become part of the EAPI).
10
11 True.
12
13 > If the package manager exposes a slightly lower level interface to
14 > the USE flags then build_with_use can use that instead, and the
15 > package manager won't have to implement the full build_with_use
16 > interface. For example, portageq currently supports a "metadata"
17 > command that can be used to query installed package metadata such as
18 > USE and IUSE. Perhaps we should use some type of interface similar
19 > to that.
20
21 That's also a possibility. How about something like:
22
23 if [[ -n "${E_INSTALLED_PKG_METADATA_CMD}" ]] ; then
24 ${E_INSTALLED_PKG_METADATA_CMD} >=cat/pkg-1.23 USE foo
25 else
26 # old vdb stuff
27 fi
28
29 with heavy (and checked) restrictions upon legal metadata keys (stuff
30 that's in individual files, not environment.bz2)?
33 Ciaran McCreesh