From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:11:32
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 11:12 -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > It is my understanding the the Sunrise overlay is not open to "anyone to
3 > commit", so it is not a contrib/ The sunrise project is the owner of
4 > the overlay and they are responsible for it's contents. The people
5 > commiting are responsible for what they commit. The point of the
6 > Sunrise project as I understand it is to aid in the development of
7 > ebuilds in maintainer-wanted, such that they may improve and be added to
8 > the tree; as well as to give frequent 'not quite a dev' and 'I don't
9 > have a bunch of time but would like to help' people a place to commit to.
10
11 Ehh... except there's *already* ebuilds that are *not* under
12 maintainer-wanted in the overlay.
13
14 It also doesn't answer the questions of security and maintenance. Are
15 genstef and jokey going to be responsible for the security of every
16 single package in the overlay? Are they going to be responsible for
17 ensuring that the packages adhere to current ebuild standards? How are
18 ebuilds going to get from this overlay into the official repository?
19
20 Not a single one of these questions has been answered, yet many
21 perfectly valid objections have been brought up by a few developers,
22 with no answers being given.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 x86 Architecture Team