From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, rich0@g.o
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 01:55:34
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 6:21 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:33 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Fred is a community member. Fred consistently harasses and trolls new
6 >>> contributors in private.
7 >>
8 >> Sure, it's a problem. But not a problem which can be solved by
9 >> closing the mailing list, in no step of the issue.
10 >>
11 >> First of all, this happens in private, so you cannot prevent it
12 >> by closing a mailing list.
13 >
14 > Certainly. Closing lists won't stop the private abuse, nor is it intended to.
15 >
16 > What it would stop is this particular thread talking endlessly about it.
19 >>> No mention is made of why Fred as booted out, because everything
20 >>> happened in private.
21 >>
22 >> That's the mistake which is made in this example. Be open in the
23 >> decisions. If you cannot be open in order to protect other people's
24 >> privacy, be open at least by saying exactly this.
25 >
26 > In the example I can think of this was done, and yet people still
27 > endlessly argued about it, because simply stating that you can't be
28 > open about something won't satisfy people who want there to be
29 > openness.
32 As I have tried to explain, the reasons you have given are not
33 consistent and even if they were there is no reason to believe they
34 are based on a sound interpretation of the law. You simply ignored
35 those comments, which tells everyone else you do not care whether you
36 are making valid decisions. That is why these discussions have
37 continued.
38
39 >> Closing a mailing list
40 >> will not close such a debate; it will then just happen elsewhere.
41 >
42 > And that is the goal.
43 >
44 >> Anyway, such a debate does not belong to dev-ml. The correct solution
45 >> is to continue to point people to have this debate on the appropriate place,
46 >> not on the mainly technically oriented dev-ml.
47 >
48 > Could you take this debate to the appropriate place then?
51 >> Making the posters silent
52 >> by blacklisting even more is contra-productive and will give the
53 >> impression that they are actually right.
54 >
55 > If the goal is to make them silent on the closed list it is completely
56 > productive.
57 >
58 > Nothing can prevent people from getting the impression that there is
59 > some kind of cover-up. Certainly the last time this sort of thing
60 > happened having hundreds of emails posted on the topic on the lists
61 > didn't do anything to convince the few posters that the right thing
62 > was done.
63 >
64 > Now, I do like something that Debian did in this situation which was
65 > to give the person who was booted the option to have the reasoning
66 > disclosed or not. If they refuse and people question why they were
67 > booted, you can simply state that all people who are booted are given
68 > the option to have the reasons disclosed, and the person leaving made
69 > the choice not to have this done. IMO something like this would tend
70 > to reduce the legal liabilities.
73 >>> Ultimately the leaders just want Fred gone so that new contributors
74 >>> aren't getting driven away. They can't explain that because then they
75 >>> create potential civil liability for the project.
76 >>
77 >> Why not? Is it against a law to exclude somebody who is hurting a
78 >> project?
79 >
80 > Not at all. Booting somebody from an organization like Gentoo creates
81 > no liability, unless it was based on discrimination/etc.
82 >
83 > The liability comes from saying negative things about somebody.
84 >
85 > Kicking out Fred is fine. Stating publicly that Fred was kicked out
86 > for sexual harassment would allow Fred to sue, and then you have to
87 > pay to prove that he was sexually harassing somebody.
90 Fred can sue even if you've done nothing. You would still be well
91 advised to hire representation in that case to prevent Fred from
92 winning by default. Agitating people by withholding comments on
93 problematic behavior doesn't remove that possibility.
94
95 As long as the statements were true only a token effort (if even that)
96 needs to be made to dismiss the suit. In very rare cases, mostly where
97 something close to malicious intent behind the release of the
98 information can be shown, damages will be awarded. But seeing as there
99 is a valid reason (effective project governance) for releasing that
100 information I see no way that would be upheld.
103 >>> The problem is that
104 >>> the debate goes on for over a year despite intervening elections and
105 >>> now this becomes the issue that is driving new contributors away.
106 >>> What solution would you propose for this problem?
107 >>
108 >> How would closing the mailing list solve the problem? It will give
109 >> the impression that you want to close the debate by taking away the
110 >> medium where people can argue. And the impression is correct, because
111 >> this actually *is* the intention if you are honest.
112 >
113 > Certainly this is the intention, at least for my part. There is no
114 > benefit in arguing about this for more than a year, especially if
115 > those who made the decisions get re-elected to their posts.
116 >
117 >> Of course, it will not close said debate. The debate will just happen
118 >> on another channel. (Which in this example might be appropriate, but
119 >> pointing to the proper channel is what should have happened and not
120 >> closing a mailing list and thus excluding random people from posting
121 >> things about clompletely different topics which *are* on-topic on dev-ml).
122 >
123 > People have repeatedly pointed out the correct places for such
124 > debates, though honestly if it were my call I'd not allow this debate
125 > to go on further anywhere that Gentoo operates.
126 >
127 > People post this stuff on the -dev list for the same reason that
128 > protesters block public streets. They want to make it hard to ignore
129 > them.
132 >>> Sure, but we can at least force the negative advertising of Gentoo to
133 >>> go elsewhere, rather than basically paying to run a negative PR
134 >>> campaign against ourselves.
135 >>
136 >> Closing dev-ml will not help here. If people have a strong
137 >> disagreement with a decision, this will happen on gentoo channels.
138 >> If you want to prevent it technically, you have to close all channels.
139 >
140 > Agree. But, I don't make the decisions. If it were up to me this
141 > topic would be closed everywhere.
142 >
143 >> BTW, I do not think that contributors are that blue-eyed that they
144 >> will stop contributing only because one person does not know how to
145 >> behave.
146 >
147 > The problem comes when the person is booted out and a half dozen
148 > people keep arguing that they were innocent, that Gentoo is run by a
149 > cabal in an ivory tower, and that decisions like this should be made
150 > more openly. IMO this is the sort of thing that is more likely to
151 > drive contributors away, because it has a veneer of legitimacy. The
152 > arguments in favor of that position are simple, and the arguments
153 > against it are nuanced and often rely on access to non-public
154 > information.
157 It has a veneer of legitimacy? Perhaps the complaints are legitimate?
158
159 Imagine the outcry if a court made decisions in private and did not
160 release names of the accusers and the accused.
161
162 > You can ignore their posts but then people assume they're right. So
163 > either we get endless argument (more than a year), or we need to
164 > exercise prior restraint. Neither is desirable, but I've yet to see
165 > another option presented.
168 Don't present a false dichotomy - you could begin releasing
169 information. Every argument as to whether or not that is a valid
170 decision has been ignored.
171
172 Cheers,
173 R0b0t1