From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Quantity of open bugs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:04:29
1 Kevin F. Quinn posted on Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:25:10 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I was nosing through bugzilla, and noticed:
6 >
7 > * Number of open bugs is greater than 14,000
8 > * open bugs untouched > 2 years - well over 2000.
9 > * open bugs untouched 1 - 2 years - well over 2000.
10 > * open bugs untouched 6 mo to 1 year - well over 2000.
11 > * open bugs untouched 3 - 6 months - over 2000
12 >
13 > The winner is bug #78406, which hasn't been touched for over 2240 days -
14 > over 6 years - at the time of writing.
15 >
16 > I would guess these old untouched bugs aren't actually going to be
17 > touched, ever - a lot simply won't be relevant any more for one reason
18 > or another. All they're doing is cluttering up bugzilla.
21 > So I'd like to suggest a drastic, perhaps controversial action. Mark
22 > all bugs that haven't been touched for over (say) 3 months as
23 > "Resolved:Wontfix", with a polite comment saying that it is closed due
24 > to lack of resource amongst the volunteer developer community.
25
26 You have a point, but for the way Gentoo works, 3 months is rather too
27 short. Gentoo tracks all sorts of not-ordinarily-considered-bugs as bugs,
28 and some of the stuff tracked is long-term projects. I've had (gentoo
29 initscript feature) bugs complete with patches sit for > six months,
30 before the Gentoo package maintainer had time to look at it and say yeah,
31 the idea looks good. Another user ended up updating the patch before it
32 was applied, as stuff /had/ changed, but it /was/ eventually applied.
33 Meanwhile, both the other user and I (and who knows if anyone else) had
34 been using the feature in our own initscripts, keeping it working, etc,
35 but the package didn't turn over /that/ frequently, and over a year to
36 resolve with a six-month and a three-month idle period wasn't /that/ bad
37 -- certainly considering that the patch and feature ultimately got in, and
38 it wouldn't have with your proposal unless someone simply bumped the bug
39 for no other reason than to keep it open.
40
41 Arguably, a year might be better, or possibly six months, but certainly,
42 the auto-close message should urge the user to re-open if it's still
43 appropriate. But I'm not sure even that will go over well. Maybe two
44 years or five years... because arguably at five years, no matter what the
45 bug is, if it's still valid, it really /needs/ updated, since so much
46 around it will have changed.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman