From: Dick <dm@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] broken kernel headers
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 19:55:44
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm compiling some software created for Fedora/Red Hat and discovered some of
4 the gentoo kernel-headers are broken.
5
6 For example ethtool.h, which uses the u32 typedef defined in asm/types.h. This
7 typedef has been disabled outside the kernel "to avoid name space clashes" which
8 I think is a Good Thing.
9
10 Inspired by this header I dug into sys-apps/ethtool and found this package used
11 a copy of an old ethtool.h and a ethtool_util.h which typedef'ed the missing
12 types.
13 I don't think this is a bad choice but it makes ethtool.h obsolete and still
14 broken.
15
16 I thought it might be better to remove the broken headers completely or fix them
17 up and/ or patch ebuild's like ethtool to use the real kernel-headers.
18
19 Red Hat / Fedora provide heavily modified kernel headers (glibc-kernheaders)
20 maybe we can borrow some patches from them...
21
22 What would be the best way to deal with these broken kernel headers? (plasmaroo?)
23
24 Greetings,
25 Dick
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list