From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Proposed dates for Python 3.10 switch and Python 3.8 removal
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:13:21
1 [Resending due to mail client nonsense...]
2
3 > On 11 Nov 2021, at 18:44, Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 09:55:48 -0800
5 > Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o <mailto:chutzpah@g.o>> wrote:
6 >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:05:45 +0100
7 >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 >>> I'd like to add some dates regarding 3.8 removal and 3.10 switch to
9 >>> the implementation timeline [1].
10 >>>
11 >>> Unless I'm mistaken, CPython is following a yearly release cycle these
12 >>> days. I think it would make sense to also aim for a yearly cycle
13 >>> in Gentoo, i.e. roughly switch to the next minor version every year.
14 >>>
15 >>> Hence my proposal would be to:
16 >>>
17 >>> a. ASAP: send "please port your packages to py3.9" mail
18 >>>
19 >>> b. 2022-06-01: remove py3.8 target
20 >>
21 >> Could we please push this back, I would prefer some time in 2023 if
22 >> possible.
23 > To clarify, I am just asking for it to be pushed back to the start of
24 > 2023, not June 2023. 2023-01-01 would be fine.
27 I think this is fair but if you do need something for work, please say that
28 so we don't need to guess / think it might be for your personal capacity.
29
30 I also think it's probably worthwhile to offer upfront help if needed if you
31 can, especially if it is for that purpose.
32
33 That said, I agree!
34
35 I think we need to push it back a little bit to ease upgrades (see
36 the recent thread) but also to help downstreams like Flatcar OS
37 which are still migrating away from Python 3.8.
38
39 I don't mind chipping in to help.
40
41 [There is a separate issue with stabilising the Python 3.10
42 interpreter. I'd like this done as soon as it's ready (and it works
43 fine here), but there's a problem with circular dependencies
44 and python-any-r1 dragging it in on upgrades and causing issues with libxcrypt.]
45
46 Best,
47 sam