From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: purslow@×××××××××.ca
Cc: Gentoo Devt <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] improving world & pkg
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:59:46
1 On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:43, purslow@×××××××××.ca wrote:
2 > i've been using Gentoo for 6 mth (Linux & UNIX much longer)
3 > & am steadily learning how things are set up & work in practice.
4 > i'ld like to make a couple of suggestions based on that experience.
5 >
6 > (1) instead of Portage adding emerged pkgs to 'world' automatically,
7 > it sb upto the user to ask for that to be done by an explicit flag.
8 > i suspect present behaviour goes back to the beginnings of Gentoo
9 > & has never been re-examined: it doesn't work out well in practice.
10 > often, i find myself wanting to update a pgm wh is needed for something else,
11 > but wh i don't want to add to my 'world', wh is the end-products i do want.
12 > yes, you can explicitly exclude things w '--oneshot',
13 > but that has to be done each time & has no short equivalent.
14 >
15 > my suggestion is to replace '--oneshot' w its opposite '-w',
16 > wh wd explicitly tell Portage to add the pkg to 'world';
17 > otherwise, the pkg wd not be added to 'world'.
18 >
19 > (2) 'qpkg -I' will list all emerged pkgs,
20 > wh seem to be recorded in /var/db/pkg/... (a set of dirs).
21 > however, it wb really useful to have a simple file listing them,
22 > wh wb updated at each emerge by Portage & cb annotated by the user.
25 I thought I was following along with what you said, but I definitely
26 lost track of all the different `w?' strings. Can you try explaining
27 this again without resorting to short-hand?
28
29 Thanks,
30 --
31 Seemant Kulleen
32 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
33 Gentoo Linux http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant
34
35 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
36 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E