From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:30:20
1 On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:41:31PM +0200, Fabio Erculiani wrote
2 > Are we realizing that in order to keep systemd out of our way, we're
3 > currently writing and maintaining drop-in replacements for the
4 > features that systemd is already providing in an actively maintained
5 > state? openrc-settingsd was the first thing that we as Gentoo
6 > developers (Pacho?) had to write in order to merge GNOME 3.6 into our
7 > tree.
8
9 So Redhat, who are heavily into GNOME
10 ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_contributions#GNOME_developers )
11 decided to make GNOME depend on other Redhat-developed software (systemd
12 and pulseadio). Well... like... dohhhh...
13
14 Question... when Sun made OpenOffice depend on Java (also a Sun
15 product) did Gentoo developers run around suggesting that Java be made a
16 part of the core Gentoo base system? I don't think so. If a user wants
17 to run GNOME badly enough, he'll switch to systemd. I don't see why the
18 rest of us (i.e. non-users of GNOME) should have to follow along and
19 reconfigure our systems. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog.
20
21 > So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
22 > (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their
23 > own reality check.
24
25 You are effectively calling not-using-GNOME isolationist. Let's just
26 say I disagree with you on that. BTW, see my sig.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications