From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How well supported is collision-protect?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:12:29
1 Have to pipe up on this as I get at least a half dozen bugs a week...
2
3 On Wednesday 27 April 2005 08:29 pm, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
4 > On a note, similar to the one about /usr/X11R6, I'd like to ask about
5 > collision-protect.
6 >
7 > - How well is it expected to work?
8 >
9 Oh, it works, believe me, it works
10
11 > - Do you guys expect bug reports about packages with conflicting
12 > targets, with possible patches, etc?
13
14 Expect is a big word. Let's just say I'm a bad dev and don't follow the list
15 of new features in every release of portage (portage folks: i love ya, you
16 know that, doesn't mean I follow all the new feature flags and all), so my
17 introduction to collision-protect was when a half dozen bugs were filed one
18 rainy morning. Perl is in a collidable situation because we offer ebuilds
19 that supercede the modules that were installed with your version of perl (on
20 account of packages needing newer modules but not newer perl's) - we get hit
21 when the man pages go to merge. I'm hoping to alleviate (NOTE: not resolve)
22 some of this when we can do versioned virtuals, but until then I sympathize
23 with the bug posters and kindly ask them to disable collision protect until
24 the module is installed.
25
26 //mcummings
27 --
29 Michael Cummings | #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-perl
30 Gentoo Perl Dev | on irc.freenode.net
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list