From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] December 15th Meeting Summary
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:05:03
1 On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 01:45:04PM -0500, solar wrote:
2 > > So right now I'll go ahead and add the pycrypto code to portage, but
3 > > will not yet add the dep to any ebuild or change anything metadata.xml
4 > > or ChangeLog related (according to Jason 2.0.54 is still away one or
5 > > two weeks anyway).
6 >
7 > If you do that please set it as a blocker for the .54 release.
8 > Reintroducing ChangeLog/metadata.xml to Manifests would be a undesired
9 > regression. Nothing in the portage as of <=.53 make direct use of those
10 > two files and there is no security value in bloating the digest format
11 > with them. Thats why they were removed 2.0.51.21
12 >
13 > Making the argument for maybe portage in the future will use them is
14 > not valid as they are currently omited and we/I have been told before
15 > by the portage team (ferringb & jstubbs iirc??) that portage itself
16 > wont be doing any .xml parsing in it's core. IE So that means not today
17 > nor tomorrow will anything need to depend on those files in order to
18 > build.
19 Stated otherwise in irc in regards to your metadata.xml
20 patch- metadata.xml support will be core, although due to
21 certain constraints it'll be optional intially.
22
23 At some point, we're going to have to push long desc into the cache;
24 at that point, portage will be required to be xml aware (yay).
25 ~harring