From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:36:36
1 Thibaut Fernagut wrote:
2 > It sure makes sense !
3 > You mean a web page with options per choise pointing to a section when
4 > that choise is made (consolidate existing install installs)
7 > example :
8 >
9 > Select the arch do you want to install gentoo on :
10 > [X]x86 []arm []x86_64
11 >
12 > --> go to url of handbook for x86
13 >
14 > Select a iso:
15 > [X]base []full
16 >
17 > --> go to url where mirrors can be selected for x86 and an explenation
18 > how to write the iso
21 > You selected x86-base-iso. Select which stage you want to start the
22 > installation :
23 > []stage1 []stage2 [X]stage3
24 >
25 > --> go to url of handbook for stage3_install
26
27 I'm not sure how will it look from the maintenance POV. If you want to
28 have such a documentation, why don't you talk to the documentation team
29 and/or try to implement it yourself? If you can maintain an up-to-date
30 "guide" with reasonable low manpower, you can use it as an argument that
31 our approach really works and is worth the effort.
32
33 As a sidenote, most of those "choices" you've mentioned either don't
34 exist at all now (stage selection) or have no real effect at the
35 installation process (ISO selection).
36
37 > That way you have en entire tree of diffirent ways to install but not
38 > the clutter of the other options because every select you do excludes
39 > sections of unneeded other install_documents. Kind of preventing the
40 > cluttering by _choise_.
41
42 You should read our x86 quickinstall guide [1], if you already haven't
43 done so. If it still doesn't suit your needs, it would be best to
44 continue this dicsussion at the gentoo-doc mailing list.
45
46 And please remember that sometimes it's easier and more readable to
47 inculde an extra sentence for a step that some people might have done
48 earlier than to include myriad of options to choose from.
49
50 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml
51
52 Cheers,
53 -jkt
56 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth
57 --
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list