From: Cliff Free <anaranjado@×××××××××.net>
To: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:48:38
I think a GUI installer would be great if done correctly.  The
interface, obviously, should be easy to use, but in the spirit of
Gentoo, shouldn't limit the user with what he can do.  On a side note, I
also think it would be cool to have the ability to detect the processor
type(s) and include some optimization flags for the detected
processor(s) (I also feel this feature should be able to be toggled so
hard-core power-users would still have the option to fine-tune to their
heart's content, and that by default the feature would be OFF.  Maybee
the detection system would only augment CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in
make.conf. and/or make.conf settings would override what's detected.)
Just my 2 cents worth.  Doing this correctly could prove to be a
daunting task.