From: Cliff Free <anaranjado@×××××××××.net>
To: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:48:38
1 I think a GUI installer would be great if done correctly. The
2 interface, obviously, should be easy to use, but in the spirit of
3 Gentoo, shouldn't limit the user with what he can do. On a side note, I
4 also think it would be cool to have the ability to detect the processor
5 type(s) and include some optimization flags for the detected
6 processor(s) (I also feel this feature should be able to be toggled so
7 hard-core power-users would still have the option to fine-tune to their
8 heart's content, and that by default the feature would be OFF. Maybee
9 the detection system would only augment CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in
10 make.conf. and/or make.conf settings would override what's detected.)
11 Just my 2 cents worth. Doing this correctly could prove to be a
12 daunting task.
13